St. Mary School provides an authentic Catholic education. This education allows students to be life-long learners with an understanding of the call to service.
St. Mary’s Catholic School Board Minutes
January 3, 2017
Opening - School Board Prayer
Present: Mrs. Sandor, Jill Dunkel, Angie Jansen, Tina Gienger, Brian Myers, Carrie Rupley, Laura Fortman, Tracy Strater, Sara Lake, Father Daniel.
- Finance & Development- Brian Myers/Jill Dunkel (Chairman) – Written report given. Highlights include:
- Accrued Diocesan debt (Jul – Oct 2015 unpaid expenses) stands at $116K (down from $136K previously)
- Subcommittee formed to lay plans for long-term parish deficit reduction
- Finance Council encouraged by direction School Board is taking with new deficit-minded tuition setting method
2. Catholic Identity- Angie Jansen (Chairman) - The committee will meet after tonight’s meeting.
3. Enrollment & Marketing- (Annette Roesener (Chairman)
- We are hoping to do another “Mass Mob” possibly at St. John Bosco in Churubusco and Blessed Sacrament in Albion. Dates and times to come.
- Planning is going on for Catholic School’s Week. We will have students speak at the sending parishes.
- Committee Meeting will be held after the February School Board Meeting.
4. Principal Evaluation – Jill Dunkel (Chairman) No update.
- The evaluation happens in the Spring.
5. Strategic Planning- Brian Myers (Chairman) – Hand out was given.
- Goal is to refresh and/or bolster these areas of the existing plan prior to the end of the 2016-2017 school year
- Next Committee meeting tentatively scheduled to be held after the February School Board
- May need to reconsider due to attendance conflicts
Old / Ongoing Business
- Tuition Recommendation for 2017-2018 - Brian Myers had a presentation and handouts were submitted. After much discussion and going over several scenarios, the recommendations are as follows:
- Angie Jansen motioned to keep the preschool rates the same; 2nd by Tracy Strater. Motion passed.
- Angie Jansen motioned to raise the registration fee from $50.00 to 75.00; 2nd by Carrie Rupley. Motion passed.
- Angie Jansen motioned to raise the Book and Technology Fee to $375.00; 2nd by Laura Fortman. Motion passed.
- Angie motioned to raise the Tuition Fee 8%; 2nd by Carrie Rupley. Motion passed.
- Enrollment is the key factor to impact the fees the most. We need to increase enrollment.
- February School Board Meeting – we will have Mrs. Laurie here to discuss the “Unpaid Lunch Policy.”
- April School Board Meeting – we will ask Mike Hernandezpeterson to attend and discuss ways for us to make money for the school.
- No report
School Administrators Report
- Handout was given, including:
- Snow make-up days are Dec.19 and Jan. 2; future cancellations will be made up Mar. 27-31
- Catholic Schools Week: Love is the theme; Mrs. Jackson will be honored at the Light of Learning Luncheon
- Playground/Fence update: Initial meeting with the Dekko representative is January 13
- AdvanceEd Accreditation: NWEA MAPS to Skills Navigator
- “Thank you” to all individuals, families, parishioners for all of their financial support.
- Still need to get a group together to do grant writing.
- We need to list our goals at each month’s meeting.
Parish Council: Next meeting is January 17 @ 7 PM. Carrie Rupley will attend.
Adjournment with a prayer
Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 @ 6:00 p.m.
Annual School Goal:
"Above all clothe yourself with LOVE, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:14