St. Mary School provides an authentic Catholic education. This education allows students to be life-long learners with an understanding of the call to service.
St. Mary’s Catholic School Board
December 4, 2016
Opening - School Board Prayer
Present: Mrs. Sandor, Jill Dunkel, Annette Roesener, Brian Myers, Laura Fortman, Kim Hesher, Sara Lake, Tina Gienger, Kourtney Hopf, Melissa Cass, Angie Jansen.
Absent: Father Daniel, Brad Taggart, Tracy Strater, Carrie Rupley
Approval of minutes from previous meeting
1. Finance & Development- Brian Myers (Chairman) – Written report given.
- Nothing new for SB concern -next Parish Finance Council Meeting 12/13/2016
- Tuition planning tonight-see below
2. Catholic Identity- Angie Jansen (Chairman) - No report. Next meeting in January 2017.
3. Enrollment & Marketing- Annette Roesener (Chairman)
- The Kendallville Christmas Parade was on 12/03/16. We had between 40-45 people participate. It was a good time had by all!!
4. Principal Evaluation – Angie Jansen (Chairman) No update.
- The evaluation happens in the Spring.
5. Strategic Planning- Brian Myers (Chairman) – Hand out was given.
- First committee meeting held after November SB meeting, all members present
- Overview of 2014-2019 S.P., out of date goals and shortcomings as compared to previous plans
- Plan to bolster and refresh areas of concern, assigned subcommittee leads
- Previous S.P. binders scanned and distributed digitally
- Possible next committee meetingfor February 2017
Report also given on first meeting of Parish Facilities & Capital Improvements Committee
- Attendees:Chair- Brian Myers,Mike Edwards, Tom Sherwood, Mark Bush, Joe Kashmer (not in attendance Bryan Cass)
- Covered major needs of building and grounds including the gym heating system and roof leaks
- Established goals and charter
- Next meeting 12/19/16
- Catholic School Fair - St. Anthony's in Angola,
- Sunday, January 22nd,11:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m.
- Volunteers to represent St. Mary’s-SB decided not to participate this year
- Unpaid Lunches Policy
- Need policy written
- We need to have an “Unpaid Lunch Policy” by July 1, 2017
- Policy Committee to discuss
- to be continued @ February meeting with Mrs. Laurie present
- Process/Application for Tuition Assistance
- Policy Committee to discuss and submit a form to be used
Old / Ongoing Business
- Tuition Planning 2017-2018 Brian Myers gave a presentation and handouts were given.
- Focus on income gap and ways to fill that gap
- Diversify our approaches instead of a single avenue
- Perhaps bring in a professional fundraiser for another approach-parent: Michael Hernandezpeterson
- Projected enrollment stats and specific formulas introduced to aid in discussion of tuition increase
- Recommendation will be given at the next meeting in January
- Trivia Night : We had 7 tables and had $450.00 profit.
School Administrators Report
- Financial update given
- Need for Tuition Assistance protocol
- Annual empty seat report was submitted
- School Improvement plan was submitted
- Voting for make up school day was held with Monday, January 2nd receiving the most parent votes
- NWEA: MAP was completed
- Need clarification of Sports Eligibility
- Safety Plan for school and education to staff and parents continuous
- Physical plant update and needs voiced-Facilities & Capital Improvements Committee to address
- Update on Goals
- Sucesses: Veterans Day and Kendallville Christmas Parade
- Father Absent
- Still need to get a group together to do grant writing.
Parish Council: Brian attended 11/15/16
- School heating system discussed
- Establishing a parish library in the Convent
- Lenten parish mission
- no meeting in December
Next meeting is January 17 @ 7 PM. Carrie Rupley will attend.
Adjournment with a prayer
Next Meeting: Tuesday, January 3, 2017@ 6:00 p.m.
Annual School Goal:
"Above all clothe yourself with LOVE, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:14