St. Mary School provides an authentic Catholic education. This education allows students to be life-long learners with an understanding of the call to service.
St. Mary’s Catholic School Board
August 2, 2016
Opening - School Board Prayer
Welcome of New and Returning Members
Present: Mrs. Sandor, Father Daniel, Jill Dunkel, Annette Roesener, Brian Myers, Carrie Rupley, Laura Fortman, Kim Hesher, Melissa Cass, Sara Lake, Tina Gienger, Angie Jansen, Mrs. Benedict, Mrs. Taube
Absent: Brad Targgart, Tracy Strater
Guests: Michael Edwards, Jonathan Ormiston, David Roesener
Old / Ongoing Business:
1. School Calendar
a. Guest speakers: Jonathan Ormiston and Michael Edwards
§ Mr. Ormiston and Mr. Edwards were invited to the meeting by Father Daniel and Jill Dunkel to help give context to the school calendar decision.
Approval of minutes from previous meeting
§ Additions to the minutes of the last meeting were submitted by Brian Myers. Additions were approved. See Revised May Minutes.
Contact Information Sheet updates
§ Sheets were passed around and updated.
1. Finance & Development- Brian Myers (Chairman) - Update from spring/summer
o The Finance Committee will meet next week.
2. Catholic Identity- Jill Dunkel (Chairman) - Update from spring/summer
o No update
3. Enrollment & Marketing- (Annette Roesener (Chairman) Update from spring/summer
o The Marketing Committee (and some faculty members and students) participated in:
§ The Freedom Festival parade in Avilla ( and won third place!!!)
§ The All In Block Party in Albion. (Had a booth and passed out fliers).
§ St Mary School fliers were distributed at The Town Hall in Avilla, and at the library in Avilla, and at Cranberry Acres in Avilla.
§ St Mary (faculty, board members, students) had their first "Church Mob" at the Immaculate Conception Church in Kendallville – it was very well received and supported. The goal is to attend all sending parishes to promote St. Mary School.
4. Principal Evaluation – Angie Jansen (Chairman) Update from spring/summer
§ The evaluation happens in the Spring.
5. Strategic Planning- Brian Myers (Chairman) Update from spring/summer
§ From the May 10, 2016 Minutes – Brian is still working on the template – the hope was to have it at the beginning of the school year. He has made some headway with people, but has nothing on paper yet.
2016-17 Committee Sign-ups and chairs
§ Sign up sheets were passed around.
Old / Ongoing Business, Continued:
1. Tuition Compliance
2. Jack Jansen’s Eagle Scout Project
§ From the May 10, 2016 Minutes: This project was to have been started in July 2016. Nothing has been started; still working on the logistics of this project.
1. Labor Day Festival Basket Raffle-Signups/Chair
2. Parish Council Meeting Signups
§ Sign up sheets were distributed.
· First Meeting: August 24, 20166:30 PM
· St Mary's will NOT be participating in the Johnny Appleseed or the Apple Festival. (Selling Root Beer as a fundraiser).
· Cookie Dough Fundraiser will start shortly after school starts.
· Trunk or Treat will be an activity this fall; Halloween time. More info to come.
· HASA will be at the ice cream social this Sunday at St. Mary's.
School Administrators Report
· See Attached
· "Thank You" to all parishioners, donors, for the financial support of the school projects.
· "Thank You" to everyone for your service.
Parish Council: No Meeting in August
Next Meeting: Tuesday, September 6th @ 6:00 p.m.
Adjournment with a prayer
Monthly Committee Meeting: begin in September
Annual School Goal:
"Above all clothe yourself with LOVE, which binds everything together in perfect harmony." Colossians 3:14